Sunday, December 6, 2009

Run from the Sun

How many races does one have to run before you can officially become a runner? Apparently 1 is not the answer. I ran my first race ever (that is, at least since junior high p.e. class), which was a 1/2 marathon, and I am no runner. I did go through a 10 week training program that a buddy of mine found online. First of all, I want to point out that in the background of this first photo is the Mesa Cemetary. I am at the end of the race and my choice was to turn right, into the stadium, or left, and enter the cemetary. At that point in the race that this photo was taken, either choice would have been equally appropriate.

My goal was simply to finish without stopping or having any significant injury. I did have some major pain in my hips, but I never stopped. Here is my gripe about the 1/2 marathon. I think that this race should be renamed. The 5k, the 10k, and the marathon all have their own unique name, but not the 1/2 marathon. I think that my accomplishment is somewhat diminished with the '1/2' label. I did an ENTIRE race, yet I have to preface my accomplishment by stating that it is only half of something instead of a whole something. I am looking for an appropriate name for this race. Any suggestions?
Do you see who is the first to greet me? Yup! that is Dean, running to hug his Daddy. Totally worth it!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Bartley says he agree's. A new name would be more appropriate. 10k is my vote.

Megan Smith said...

Awesome Brian! I love that last picture of Dean running up to greet you. Good job gettin' er done!

chelsea mckell said...

seriously, this post brings tears of joy to my eyes.