Saturday, May 30, 2009

Elizabeth's Day

Today our daughter Elizabeth would have been 2 years old. It seems that time has gone by fast and we have had many blessings that have helped fill some of the void of her absence. Even though nothing will ever take her place and there will always be a desire to be with her and watch her grow, I am grateful for the knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and Eternal Families. We were able to donate items to the hospital again which allows me to commemorate her. We were also able to go to her grave site the day before. It brought back memories of the day we laid her beautiful body to rest. It is sad and I had a desire to hold her just one more time but, I had wonderful memories of the sweet service we had for her and the overwhelming love we felt from the family and friends that supported us. I have felt a lot of gratitude this month as we have so much to be thankful for as we celebrate Elizabeth and also Dean. The Lord brought us a rainbow after our storm. There is a poem by Linda Kay that shares how I feel about Elizabeth.
Stillborn
Stillborn,
I am not sure that I understand.
Is it a babe who is born
In the hush of a morning's breath
Before the birds begin to sing?
No. This is not stillborn, though
We could like it to be.
Is it a babe who is born so quiet,
so still, that the angels hush
Their rustling wings to hear
If she will not draw a tiny breath?
Perhaps. This is very close, but surely,
it means more.
Stillborn,
Born, still in the arms of God.
Stillborn,
Born, still in the full knowledge of
God's love and power,
His glory and grace.
Born still to us, but alive to God!
Surely this is still born:
No death, but life eternal,
No sorrow, but everlasting peace,
No separation, but
Communion forever
With God!
Yes, now I understand,
Stillborn...

10 comments:

ConnieB said...

What a beautiful poem. You are so strong, it's inspiring. Isn't it so wonderful to have the knowledge of the gospel, and that families are forever? We are so blessed

Nicole said...

It is a beautiful poem. We have been thinking of you and your family this weekend as we miss Elizabeth as well. I'm thankful for this gospel and the knowledge I share with you, that you will be reunited with your daughter one day. We love you! The Stock's

Amy said...

You don't know me but I wanted to tell you that your post was beautiful. In just 5 weeks it will be 2 years from the day that my Daisy Grace was stillborn. Thank you for your words.

Megan Smith said...

I too was thinking of Elizabeth and your family on Saturday. Your words, "The Lord sent us a rainbow after the storm"--what a beautiful statement. And what a sacred month May is and always will be with Dean born on the 1st and Elizabeth on the 30th.

I hope you know what an inspiration you're example of faith and strength is to me.--Love, Meg

Heather said...

That was such a sweet post Thank you both for being such great examples for both Sam and me.

Emily Ferrell said...

I'm sorry my brain wasn't working well enough to remember Saturday as Elizabeth's Day but I think of her often and miss her. I can't wait to get to know her someday. Dean has truly been the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and I adore him.

Natalie said...

Thank you for sharing this post. What a beautiful tribute to Elizabeth.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Deb said...

You and Brian taught me so much that weekend. You were both so strong and faithful and you still are today.

Debbie said...

Hope you read the thought by Meredith on our family's thought calendar on Elizabeth's day. I do believe she was on an errand from God with a different message for each one who's life she touched.

Christin said...

I loved your entry. It was beautiful!