Sunday, July 26, 2009

Happy Birthday, Noah!




Today Noah turns 10. I don't know why I chose this picture. He is roller blading with his Aunt Rachael and making funny faces. We will have a birthday party for him next weekend, so there will be more to come, but here are some things about Noah that we love about him...

1) Noah is a voracious reader. He will read during recess, read in the car, read at the dinner table, and anywhere else he can. In fact, during one of his teacher conferences last year his teacher told me that would try to speed through his school work and when he would be done he would sneak out a book to read. The teacher would take his book away because it was not reading time. When the teacher would leave Noah would pull out a different book because he is often reading more than one book at a time.

2) Noah is very affectionate. Noah loves to hug and be hugged, kiss and be kissed. He enjoys cuddling and holding hands. I can't even leave to run the shortest of errands without Noah running to the garage demanding a kiss and hug and then standing at the doorway waving goodbye until I am gone. Although I know that someday it will not be cool to hold hands with Dad, I am glad for this now.

3)Noah is very smart. Not only does he read story books, but he reads informational books. He loves to read about history, building things, animals, historical figures, and books full of general facts and information about almost anything. He then loves to play games that test his information and problem solving skills.

4)Noah is obedient. Although he has the normal problems of most boys his age, Noah rarely has to be told more than once to do something.

5)Noah is honest. This is true almost to a fault. Sometimes I am surprised about how often Noah will easily give up information that will cause him to risk getting into big trouble. I rarely have to question in my mind when I am talking to Noah if he is being truthful.

6)Noah loves his brother. I think that one of Noah's biggest frustratoins is that Dean is not nearly as affectoinate as Noah is. One of their favorite games is when Noah will chase Dean wanting to give him a hug. Dean will run away laughing. Noah will read to Dean, play with toys, swim, and play outside.

7)Noah seems to have a strong testimony of prayer. I remember years ago one night that he fell asleep watching a movie. I carried him up to his bed and tucked him in. He didn't move at all. As I walked out his door I heard his voice saying, "Dad, what about our prayer?" Noah says very sincere prayers and often expresses the faith that his prayers will be answered.

8)Noah is very curious. I know his Papa (Grandpa Smith) will remember how Noah as a toddler would always ask "Why?" He still does that.

9)Noah is very active. Although he might describe himself as more of an academic, Noah loves to swim, ride his bike, hike, play sports (at least some sports), go boating, play games, and build things. He enjoys scouts and works hard to obtain his next rank and other rewards.

10)Noah enjoys food, just like his Daddy. Noah loves Panda Express. He likes the orange chicken, but then again, who doesn't? He loves the mac n' cheese, pizza, spaghetti, and just about any other high carb, high fat food. Oh well, he can enjoy it for now. It will eventually catch up to him.

There is much, much more that I could say about him. It is easy to love a boy who is so loving himself. He if full of life and energy and fun. I can't imagine life without him. I am so proud of him!

4 comments:

Deb said...

Happy birthday Noah!

Jen Hakes said...

It was fun to read all about Noah. We don't get to know each other too well living miles apart. He is lucky to have wonderful parents who support and love him. Hope the party is fun and memorable! Happy Birthday Noah!

Brian Smith said...

From Noah,oh my...uh...what can i say about this? I just loved reading that section about how and why my dad loves me so much. My heart is so full of joy I can just take all of the love he has for me and send it back at him 100 fold. Believe it!!!!!!!

chelsea mckell said...

ok, so.... I know it's kinda weird to leave comments on posts that are really old... but I was scrolling through your blog looking for a particular picture for the fam calendar. And I read through this, and seriously almost got choked up. Such a sweet tribute!